Here is a list of some of the most common troubleshooting solutions we use to solve problems with the internet.
1. Power cycle your router
The very first thing that can be done to solve the vast majority of internet issues is restarting your router. This can be done by removing both the ethernet chord and the power cord from the back of your router, waiting about 15 seconds, then plugging everything back in. It will take the router a few minutes to turn on again completely before you are able to test your connection.
2. Verify connections
- Make sure that the ethernet cable is securely plugged into the "WAN" or "Internet" port on your router.
- If you are using a CDE rental router, make sure that the ethernet cable is securely plugged in to GE4 on your router.
- If your router's power cable is plugged into a surge protector, make sure that the surge protector is turned on.
- If you are using a switch, make sure that it is plugged into a router and not directly plugged into the port in your wall.
3. Directly connect
If you are unable to connect to your wireless network, you can test to see if internet is reaching your router by directly connecting to your router. This can be done by plugging a device with an ethernet port into an open port on your router using an ethernet cable. If you are using a rental router, make sure to plug the ethernet cable into GE1.
If you are unable to access the internet while directly connected to your router, you can test to see if internet is reaching the port in your wall by bypassing the router. This can be done by plugging a device with an ethernet port directly into the port in the wall using an ethernet cable. If you are able to successfully connect to the internet while directly connected, this means that there is an issue with your router.
4. Verify router configurations
- Make sure that your router is set-up properly and that it has not been factory reset.
- In some cases it may be necessary to factory reset your router and reconfigure it from its default settings.
A default router set-up guide can be found here: https://cdelightband.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/19000114232-default-router-set-up
Internet equipment requirements can be found here: